Sunday, August 4, 2013

Does Aleph suck?


So I just got done with the Colorado Krug 2013 last night here in Colorado. It was a lot of fun to just play infinity again after a 5 month dry period. I ended up getting 5th place out of 11 players (I always get the middle of the pack).

/Rant Mode On

Now this rant isn't about the tourney it was what happened during a convo outside the game store while we waited for the last game to rap up. One of the tourney players (I'm not going to name names here) outright slandered my faction in front of me. It was not a funny jest at them or anything for fluff reasons or just for fun. He outright said, "Aleph sucks. Why would you take them when you have SP? To take the Marut that will die in the first turn?"

Now I tried to retort but other players blurted in and I held my tongue in check. I also didn't want to sour the great mood that was going on as well. However I did unload my thoughts while I was riding with the TO back to my place.

Now my ever last philosophy is that you can make anything work in Infinity. I mean you can get work out some lackluster units or units people consider lack luster. My other philosophy goes like this, "If you can't make it fucking work, that's you're own fucking fault. That also doesn't mean it won't work for other players just because it didn't work for you."

These are the same words I said to the TO when I was talking to on the ride home. He whole heartily agreed with me.

Now I never go out of my way to say any faction sucks and I mean never. Every faction can do what others can do in there own style. I can run a horde Aleph list but they do it in there own way with multiple bots, Devas, and so on.

Now backing up to the "Aleph sucks" part. Does Aleph suck... hardly. Now how about SP because why would I play Aleph with them around? Well it comes down to one thing really about the SP and Vanilla. Play style!

The player that said Aleph sucks is the person that has played these forces: MAF, SP, and JSA.

Now those are all assault style forces made to get in your face and rip it off. He's never really like AD troops or skirmishers. Now because of his own play style he slandered my faction because it doesn't fit in with his play style. Now Aleph might suck to him but does it suck in general? Not even close. I've gotten 3rd place with them before and in the same tourney I got 3rd the winner was an Aleph player and wait for it... that ran a Marut list.

Now I probably wouldn't be writing this if he didn't say it such a rude manner in front of bunch of other gamers I personally know. Somethings are best left unsaid or if you do say they suck give a reason why they do. Do they suck to you personally or do they just outright suck in general? I probably could of asked these questions but like I said I didn't want to ruin every ones day and ruining the rookie TO's first tourney.

/Rant Mode Off

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you entirely. I hope that other players backed you up accordingly, representing like the game it is, not the game (cough gw pp) it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They helped a little and seemed to be taken a little back by the comment as well. I don't think anyone had ever gone out of there way to bash an army like that player did. I wonder if the beer was getting to him...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an Aleph player, I like the greeks but I could never play SP over vanilla Aleph. For me, SP prevents you from using all the cool units that really define Aleph as a faction - the Asura, post-humans, devas, Marut, etc. (not to mention the Naga with mono mines that is amazing!). These high-tech/robotic and futuristic units are what made me decide to play Aleph in the first place and really personify the cold and calculating AI of Aleph.

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of vanilla list do you play and do you remember what was included in the Marut list you mentioned? I am always looking for some inspiration for my lists.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I play vanilla with a mix of Greek and Vedic units. Sometime I play with smash mouth lists like an Asura and some Myrm buddies. Sometimes I play with a multi-threat list with units like proxies, a Garuda HMG (or Dio), a Naga or two, then some support troops.

      For the Marut list if I remember correctly had a Zayin to cover up the Marut's flanks. Also had some Myrms for smoke tricks. Basically a list built around a TAG and it's strengths.

      Delete